BEA Home Page
August 13, 2003Top of Page
I hope this letter finds you enjoying a restful and relaxing summer. Many significant things have happened over this summer, and there is no shortage of issues we'll be facing together over the coming school year. Let me mention just a few....
- First, ALL BEA MEMBERS THAT RECEIVED RIF NOTICES HAVE BEEN RECALLED!
Second, our new contract is at the printers. The next steps are proofing the galleys, then printing.
- The first paycheck of the new year will be direct deposited on Friday, August 15, 2003 or, if not direct deposited, available at Central Office from 10:00AM-2:00PM.
- 9 delegates at the National Education Association Representative Assembly in New Orleans represented Brockton. The representatives voted to file legislation in Congress to directly fight the "No Child Left Behind Act" or ESEA, or The Elementary and Secondary Education Act, the 1200 page document attacking public education ...WHICH IS NOW THE LAW! Please check the link NEA-RA 2003 on this BEA website for first time ever pictures from the floor of the Representative assembly (they enlarge if you click on them) and other important information and links.
- Twenty-five BEA members (the most ever) attended the MTA Leadership Conference at Williams College, attended professional workshops, programs and fun events. We were represented well by this year's attendees from the "City of Champions" whose career experience spanned from new teachers to recent retirees.
- The hiring of nearly 75 new teachers is almost complete. We now have nearly 800 colleagues in their first eight years of teaching in the Brockton Public Schools!
- Important accommodation for Masters Requirement for Professional License: The MTA has reached an agreement with the D.O.E. allowing your recently completed Masters, or current course work to "count" toward Professional License. Deadline Oct. 1, 2003! More info. on MTA Website www.massteacher.org.
- You are invited and encouraged to attend a BEA General Meeting on September 2, 2003 at 7:30 a.m., at the Brockton High School Auditorium, just before the Superintendent's meeting at the same location.
Looking forward to seeing you September 2nd.
Joseph A. O'Sullivan, President
Brockton Education Association