BEA Home Page
Top of Page
May 17, 2005
I read with dismay in yesterday's AP article that our Governor was in D.C. promoting adding science to our already critically under-funded federal No Child's Behind Left Untested Act.
As a science teacher I submit the following observations regarding this MCAS High Stakes Science "Experiment"!
The Mass. Board of Education won't fund the cost of implementation.
The Mass. Board of Education won't fund the cost of providing the facilities improvements needed to put it in place.
The Mass. Board of Education won't fund the cost of training needed to implement it.
The Mass. Board of Education won't phase it in in a rational way.
The Mass. Board of Education will dump the cost on local property tax payers.
1. Create it.
2. Implement it.
3. Don't test it.
4. Declare it a success.
5. Punish property tax poor communities for not being as successful.
6. Use spurious results to decry the state of public education.
1. Leaving even more children's behinds...BEHIND!
2. Further dismantling community support for true public education.
3. Hurting, not improving the Massachusetts economy.
Joseph A. O'Sullivan
Award Winning Brockton Science Teacher
Brockton Education Association
410 Belmont Street
Brockton, MA 02301